Creative Consolidation of Language and Identity Within in my family, our native tongue is Afrikaans. Generation after generation, the use of the Afrikaans language has changed through variations of spelling, pronunciation and writing styles. English is considered a second language within my family, but I however, consider English as my first language. Some people in my family identify me as an out liar because Afrikaans is not my first language. And also because I moved country, so that will give them an idea that I might or will lose my heritage and what identifies me as a person. When I was still living in South Africa, I took Afrikaans as one of my second languages in school. From past experiences I thought it would be difficult to grasp on because I have only so little sources or background information about the language. Throughout the course, I improved on my pronunciation, which is obviously one of the most important area of a language. I achieved "A's" in the...
Hi Keasha and Nadiah,
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed tuning into your podcast and learning about the "critically endangered" Manchu language. The fact that you chose to elaborate on how a once dominant imperial language of the Chinese dynasty has declined to be one on the brink of extinction essentially accents how the value of ancestral tongues have truly diminished in society today. However, what I found to be the most astonishing element was the fact that of the 10 million ethnic Manchus, only 10 of them actually speak the language, which is a very very meagre statistic. All in all, this podcast was immensely enlightening as I learnt a great deal about the Manchu language. Well done!!
Hi Keasha and Nadiah,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed ur poscast, especially the background music hahaha, You both really spoke well and I found out so many new things about this endangered language, a language i dint know excisted. Good Job!