Blog Post 5 - Creative task

Creative Consolidation of Language and Identity 

Within in my family, our native tongue is Afrikaans. Generation after generation, the use of the Afrikaans language has changed through variations of spelling, pronunciation and writing styles. English is considered a second language within my family, but I however, consider English as my first language. Some people in my family identify me as an out liar because Afrikaans is not my first language. And also because I moved country, so that will give them an idea that I might or will lose my heritage and what identifies me as a person.

When I was still living in South Africa, I took Afrikaans as one of my second languages in school. From past experiences I thought it would be difficult to grasp on because I have only so little sources or background information about the language. Throughout the course, I improved on my pronunciation, which is obviously one of the most important area of a language. I achieved "A's" in the course which was ironic because I didn't have a solid foundation like the other kids. However, I did push myself and started going for extra classes to enhance my speech. My family were rather surprised because most of them discouraged me in doing the language because I wasn't fluent as they were.

Family play an important role in your development of language. We as kids, learn language by the speech they are surrounded by. Therefore, I was surrounded by the English language. My mother preferred me speaking English because it is more widely spoken, whereas Afrikaans is spoken in South African and Namibia. My mom rarely spoke in Afrikaans with me, unless she is upset. Which is normal, because people who are bilingual often speak in their preferred native language when they are upset. Another reason why she preferred me having English as my first language was because most schools were switching their first language from Afrikaans to English. This was done because after democracy (apartheid), the country's first language switched. Thus, would be difficult for me to transition from Afrikaans to English.

When having conversations, my family speaks in Afrikaans with one another but when they speak to me, they talk in English. Which made me feel insecure at times, but other times it would make me feel unique and different from the others that I surround myself with. Having to know two languages would give me a broad perspective on culture and identities in different regions. Thus, would not make me oppress to only one perspective on my culture.

Having to move to Abu Dhabi definitely showed me different views about people and how they are represent themselves in their culture. Which also got my family thinking about the languages I will be doing abroad, thus keeping in mind that there might not be resources for that particular language. Losing Afrikaans, would mean losing my heritage which is also the reason for my family's worries. Yes of course, language does shape your identity but also doesn't define who you are as a person.




Comments

  1. This was very enjoyable to read Keasha. You successfully articulate your relationship with your two languages in a way that shows good understanding of the concepts we have examined in class. However, when you settled on a text type for your Written Task 1, you must show greater attention to the conventions of that text type. With this memoir, there were some important conventions that you did not include such as dialogue and hindsight wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keasha, I really enjoyed reading this memoir regarding your relationship with language and identity. Even though I already knew you spoke Afrikaans as a second language, it was interesting and refreshing to learn that your family was pivotal in order to develop the language. I found it very interesting when you said "bilinguals often speak in their preferred native language when they are upset.". Personally, when I'm upset or angry I tend to speak in my second language simply because I speak it more, thus, I'm able to think faster in English. Overall, I think this was a well written memoir, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiki, I really like how this blog post was about you journey in the bilingual world- it was very interesting to read. Just make sure to include dialogue and hindsight wisdom, if you choose this for your written task 1,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your memoir about your language identity. I found it very interesting to read. I totally agree with your statement "bilinguals often speak in their preferred native language when they are upset." as I myself can relate to this as I like to consider myself a bilingual as well. Overall I loved this post, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your memoir about your language identity. I found it very interesting to read. I totally agree with your statement "bilinguals often speak in their preferred native language when they are upset." as I myself can relate to this as I like to consider myself a bilingual as well. Overall I loved this post, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. keasha, i agree with the fact that 'We as kids, learn language by the speech they are surrounded by'. i also really think it's important that you don't lose Afrikaans, once you start living and working abroad, as it allows you to have a sense of belonging to a certain heritage. i thoroughly enjoyed reading about your 'mini' life story, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1- Introducing myself

Blog Post 3 - A Good Name