Blog Post 6 - Diary entry

17 May 1990

Dear diary

Since this is my first diary entry, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ray Charles Robinson but i'm known as Ray or Brother Ray. I was born in Wedlock - Albany, Georgia and later moved to Florida to pursue my singing career. I pioneer in soul music such as blues, jazz, rhythm and gospel. Being born in extreme poverty, I have managed to make a name for myself - even though both my parent died, I pushed myself to achieve greater things. During my early age, my brother and I were playing in the backyard. My little brother slipped and fell in a bucket and drowned. I was stunted and didn't know what o do - so i just stood there and watched him die. During my time on the road, I have learnt to chock up my feelings with heroine because I often blamed myself for George's death. 

I was able to get off the heroine but of course it wasn't easy for me, but i had my wife support me all the way because I didn't have any immediate family. During this era, black folks were not taken seriously in what they did. But I decided to prove them wrong and I was one of the most influential black man that reached the top 1 hits in the billboard charts. Having said, creating songs about my struggle being a black was rather easy, because being black was not something to be proud of or look forward to. I managed to create a band that was just black folks to encourage black people. The media and white folks always found a story to manipulate and ruin my reputation, because being black was a disadvantage to society. However, my people stood behind me throughout my career. 

Ray 


25 May 1990

Dear diary

Feels good to be back and just let my feelings out. As said in my previous entry, black folks has a disadvantage towards society. That being said, I created a song called 'Georgia on my mind', which relates to the state I am from. During the 1950's, there were high protests about inequality between black and white people. For those of you who are not familiar with the lyrics of the song, I will just quote one verse.
"Georgia, Georgia
The whole day through (the whole day through)
Just an old sweet song,
Keeps Georgia on my mind."
This verse shows my passion for the state and can also relate to the memories I had while being there in my early life. This song had misconception about whether it was my passion for the love of a person called 'Georgia' or my passion for the state in general.

After selling this record and becoming a #1 hit, i was issued to perform this song in front of  white- only audience in Georgia. Surprisingly, most white people loved my songs which was ironic because they despised black people. After arriving at the arena, I was stopped by black protesters, urging me not to perform in front of the white folks. I soon realized that performing wouldn't stop the white folks to treat us better, so I turn back to my tour bus and cancelled the show on the spot. My manager soon sued me and I was banned from the state. 

In 1979, I was pardoned at the Presidential Assembly and given an award for a civil rights activist in the music industry. A few years after that, the song 'Georgia', was made the state song of Georgia.
Thus, being a black musician in the 1900's was not easy to be successful and I truly hope that the world will be better for future black generations. 

Ray 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 5 - Creative task

Blog Post 1- Introducing myself

Blog Post 3 - A Good Name